Nov 7, 2004

One more...

Before I forget, here's one anecdote about the fair. Gerry Magliarisi mentioned to me that he got a kick out of ESR #15, with the article that slags George Lucas, which he leafed through. I told him I didn't write it (it was written by Rob Craig in Connecticut; the article's full title is "1984: Who Killed Hollywood?"). He asked me if I agreed with it. I said that I didn't agree with absolutely everything in it, but it's not my job as an editor to censor someone's opinion- especially if I disagree with it. If anything, what I WANT is a series of different voices in this publication. It allows the magazine not to be so one-sided. Somehow my answer prompted him to mention that Parrish lady in the house of commons who got in trouble about mouthing off about George Bush. The point was that people should be able to voice their opinions no matter what. I agreed, and capped it with the statement that we're supposedly living in the land of the free. I don't want to get in a sociopolitical barb here, because that's not why I created this blog. However I will say this- I don't run ads in my magazine, therefore I don't have to satisfy anyone... not even myself, really. I only have to be true to the writer.

1 comment:

Rob Craig said...

Here here! This is why Greg's publishing work is so important. Even at the micro-film and micro-zine level, there's that tendency to go with the crowd, and not be your own person. But if our culture gods (Ed Wood, Phil Tucker, Kerouac, Bukowksi, etc.) have taught us anything, it's that you have to be your own critic; damn the populace! If I think 99% of the films made after 1984 are soulless corporate garbage, so be it! If you don't agree, god bless ya!